Wednesday, December 9, 2009

International Animal Rights Day

Oreo's law will save animals.  Visit petsalive.com/oreoAnyone who follows me on Twitter knows that I have a soft spot for animals. I will retweet every tweet that asks for someone to adopt an animal before the shelter kills it. I will support any cause that takes care of the animals man has mistreated or abandoned. I will stand up against any agency that kills an animal in its care before every avenue to save it is tried.

I love animals. I also eat meat. I don't find a contradiction in that. I don't like seeing images of thousands of chickens that live their lives in crowded cages. I don't want to see how cows and pigs are slaughtered. I'm not stupid I know that an animal had to die for me to have a burger. I don't have a problem with hunting either as long as it's not for "fun". My rule of thumb is "kill what you eat and eat what you kill".

What would happen if we all stopped eating meat? We'd have a an animal population problem in a manner of months. We'd have to sterilize most of the animals or they'd eat us into extinction. And who would look after all the animals? It's hard enough to get people to be responsible for dogs and cats. I can't see people stepping up and helping out that pig who no longer has a farmer to feed him.

I try to eat free range and drug free animal products whenever I can. I eat wild salmon as opposed to farmed. I put my money where my conscience is. I would love it if everyone else did the same but I'm not going to hold my breath.

I'm not a big fan of using animals in research but I know that it's the only way we're going to find a cure for cancer or AIDS or any number of diseases. I do not condone animal testing for cosmetics or any other commercial product. I don't want a rabbit to be harmed or die for my hairspray. Here's a link to the Cruelty Free Shopping Guide that I use. I do not condone or support any group that breaks into or firebombs medical research labs. I won't be a part of terrorism.

I am against anyone who abuses animals. I don't care if they run a puppy mill, a dog fighting ring or if they're just your everyday asshole hurting anything weaker than him. I think we really need stronger punishments for people who abuse and neglect animals. I think we need to be a voice for animals but I don't believe in getting violent or crazy. I will admit when I first heard about heard about Oreo my first reaction was to hope someone throws that guy off the roof of a building. Part of me thinks that if abusers got the same done to them as part of the punishment I wouldn't have a problem with it.

I puppy raise for Pacific Assistance Dogs. I love every dog that comes through my door. The idea that I am doing anything to hurt these dogs is just insulting. I recently found out that PETA is against animals with jobs. If they had their way we wouldn't have guide dogs for the blind, service dogs for the physically impaired or assistance dogs for deaf people. There wouldn't be bomb dogs or drug dogs or rescue dogs. There wouldn't be therapy dogs or seizure dogs. I have seen how happy dogs are to work with their people. These smart dogs would be bored if they didn't have a job. Most people who work with these animals know how special they are and take care of them. If I ever saw anyone abusing a working animal I would get in their face and wouldn't rest until that animal was removed from their care.

This isn't turning out to be your average "animal rights" post. I'm sure most of the others written today will disagree with me on most points.

No comments:

Post a Comment