Saturday, December 26, 2009

Finding Inspiration

If you're reading this then you survived another Christmas Day. Good on ya. I managed to cook steaks to a lovely medium rare and open a bottle of champagne without loss of life or limb. Or property damage. Dinner was my now traditional Xmas Nachos. All in all I'm quite content with how the day went. I am currently contemplating going through my closets and boxing up all the clothes I don't (or can't) wear and donating them to charity. It is Boxing Day and I am in the mood to give onto others. I'm also in the mood to purge.

Yesterday I got a tweet that sent me on a journey that was quite inspirational. Brian J. Smith who plays Matthew Scott on Stargate: Universe posted a link to the following video:



I like classical music. Don't listen to it enough any more. I'm particularly fond of Ludwig from the beet farm. There are times when I end up sobbing while listening to the Moonlight Sonata. I feel both exhilarated and sad when I hear the "Ode to Joy". To me Mozart's music is always saying "look what I can do." and Beethoven's says "This is how I feel."

What a person "gets" from music of any kind is unique for each person. Our experiences, feelings, background and culture all play a part in whether or not we like a piece of music. That leads me to another video I found after watching the one above:



Yes it is a bit long but well worth the time. I'd never heard of Evelyn Gleenie before but now I think she's just amazing. I had no idea she was deaf until she mentioned it. Just amazing. I think she is right that we all experience sound in many ways, not just with our ears. Thinking about it now I feel that our ears are just the easiest way to listen to sounds.

After the Evelyn Glennie video I started watching more videos from TED. I was especially impressed by Mae Jamison's talk about connecting the arts and sciences. I wish I hadn't been labeled as "artistic" or "imaginative" when I was a kid. I'm sure all my teachers expected me to do something creative (writing) as opposed to important (cancer research).



What I'm listening to now:
Evelyn Glennie: Her Greatest Hits

Next up:
Benjamin Zander: Beethoven: Symphonies No. 5 & No. 7

Some links you might find interesting:
Evelyn Gleenie
Benjamin Zander

No comments:

Post a Comment