Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Blasts From the Past - The Muppet Show



By now most of you have probably seen the above new Muppet Video. Somewhere Freddie Mercury is laughing his ass off. HD really makes the Muppets look good. If you haven't watched the other videos by "MuppetsStudio" you should. I can only hope that HD versions of the TV Show are somewhere in the future.

I had forgotten how much I loved The Muppet Show. You have no idea how much it pains me to watch the YouTube Videos with the Disney logo on the bottom of the screen. I remember seeing a cartoon of a huge Mickey Mouse walking over various Hanna-Barbera andWarner Bros. characters with the caption "Run! He just ate the Muppets!"

Change is hard. Especially when the original Muppet Show was so good. The new HD vids have a few new voices. Time marches on and some of the original cast members aren't with us any more. I cried when Jim Henson died. I miss his voice. One of my first thoughts on hearing about Henson's death was what will Bert do? He's never lived alone before. I didn't even consider that they might get someone else to voice Ernie. Some things tied to our childhoods are just too precious.

I was shocked to learn that Jerome's spots were blue but that's another blog post and another hour on my therapist's couch.

Back to the Muppets...

One of my favorite bits on The Muppet Show was Christopher Reeve doing Hamlet. He totally hammed it up. The "coffee grounds" still makes me smile every time I think of it.



It didn't seem to matter who they had on the show, the guest usually had to leave their dignity by the stage door. Strangely enough, the only guest I remember them being "straight" with (mostly) was Liberace. Go figure.



I remember looking forward to watching The Muppet Show each week when I was a kid. I'm happy to say that, for the most part, the show is still funny when I watch it on YouTube. Not everything from childhood has stood the test of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment